- Awards and Recognitions
- APA Fellow: Drs. Asad Ghiasuddin, Abhishek Mehra and Susan Solimine
- APA Distinguished Fellow: Dr. Junji Takeshita
- Dr. William Haning who was recently appointed as the Interim Editor-in-Chief of the publication, the ASAM Weekly, published by the American Society of Addiction Medicine. Dr. Lori Karan, Chair of ASAM’s Publications Council, will also be contributing to the editorial effort while ASAM seeks a permanent replacement for Dr. Richard Soper
- Dr. James Spira was a recent guest on Hawaii Public Radio to discuss the issue of psychologists’ and health care providers’ unethical involvement in the use of torture. http://hpr2.org/post/liquefied-natural-gas-mochi-pounding-torture-report-nacf-ceo
- Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed.). The following are the book chapters by our compensated faculty:
- Leigh, H., & Streltzer, J. (2015). Special procedures: Intravenous sedative interviews, Hoover test, Waddell Tests, and hypnosis. In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 539-546). New York: Springer.
- Koli, R. L., & Guerrero, A. P. S. (2015). Consultation-liaison with children and adolescents. In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 497-519). New York: Springer.
- Streltzer, J. (2015). Chronic pain (somatic symptom disorder with predominant pain). In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 303-316). New York: Springer.
- Streltzer, J. (2015). Substance related and addictive disorders. In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 279-290). New York: Springer.
- Streltzer, J., & Leigh, H. (2015). Interviewing in consultation-liaison psychiatry. In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 63-68). New York: Springer.
- Streltzer, J., & Tseng, W.S. (2015). Cultural aspects of consultation-liaison psychiatry. In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 139-153). New York: Springer.
- Chairs updates
The Department of Psychiatry has initiated the IPASS system sign out into the clinical and training divisions. Training has begun in select areas, using the IPASS template in the Epic EHR. Our goal is to have all residents complete the IPASS video simulation by the end of January. Please see the link below for details.
The University of Hawaii and UCERA employees may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. The PSFL is a loan repayment program that is available to full-time public service employees. Borrowers can qualify for forgiveness of their remaining balance of their Direct Federal Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments made after October 1, 2007 while employed full-time by public service employers.
Click this link for more info.
Date: January 16-17, 2015
Location: Ala Moana Hotel, Oahu, Hawaii
Jerris Hedges, M.D., M.S., MMM – Interdisciplinary Collaborations in Culture/Diversity
Professor & Dean, Barry & Virginia Weinman – Endowed Chair, John A. Burns School of Medicine, UH-Manoa
Keawe‘aimoku Kaholokula, PhD – Funding Opportunities for Culture/Diversity Research and Training Initiatives
Chair and Associate Professor, Department of Native Hawaiian Health, John A. Burns School of Medicine, UH-Manoa
Joseph Betancourt, M.D., MPH – Innovations in Patient-Centered Care
Director, The Disparities Solutions Center, Senior Scientist, Mongan Institute for Health Policy, Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Director of Multicultural Education, Massachusetts General Hospital
Janice Dreachslin, Ph.D. – Diversity Leadership From the Inside Out
Professor of Health Policy & Administration, Co-Professor-in Charge, MBA Management Division, Penn State Great Valley School of Graduate Professional Studies
Kevin Eva, Ph.D. – Trends in Medical Education Research: Diversity and Culture
Senior Scientist, Centre for Health Education Scholarship, Professor and Director of Educational Research and Scholarship, University of British Columbia, Department of Medicine, Editor-in-Chief, Medical Education
Tawara Goode, M.A. — Training Initiatives in Cross-Cultural Health Care
Assistant Professor, Director, National Center for Cultural Competence, Associate Director, University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities, Center for Child and Human Development Georgetown University Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics
Alexander Green, M.D., MPH – Measuring the Efficacy of Cultural Training: Challenges and Opportunities
Associate Director, The Disparities Solutions Center, Senior Scientist, Mongan Institute for Health Policy, Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School, Co-chair, Cross Cultural Care Committee, Harvard Medical School
Early Bird Registration begins February 1, 2014.
Call for Abstracts will be issued March 1, 2014.
For more info, contact Maria Chun, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit
- Kelly C. Young-Wolff, PhD, MPH, Lori D. Karan, MD, Judith J. Prochaska, PhD, MPH. JAMA Psychiatry. Published online December 03, 2014. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.2224
- Subudhi, A., Bucher, J., Bourdillon, N., Davis, C., Elliott, J. E., Eutermoster, M., Evero, O., Fan, J. L., Jameson-Van Houten, S., Julian, C. G., Kark, J., Kark, S., Kayser, B., Kern, J. P., Kim, S. E., Lathan, C., Laurie, S. S., Lovering, A. T., Paterson, R., Polaner, D., Ryan, B. J., Spira, J., Tsao, J. W., Wachsmuth, N. B., & Roach, R. C. (2014). AltitudeOmics: The integrative physiology of the onset and retention of acclimatization to hypoxia in humans. PLOS One, 9(3). doi:101371/journalpone0087989 [online]
- Spira, J. L., Lathan, C. E., Bleiberg, J., & Tsao, J. W. (2014). The impact of multiple concussions on emotional distress, post-concussive symptoms, and neurocognitive functioning, in active duty United States Marines independent of combat exposure or emotional distress. Journal of Neurotrauma, 31, 1823-1834. doi:10.1089/neu.2014.3363
- Guerrero, A. P. S. (2014). An approach to finding teaching moments on families and child development in Disney films. Academic Psychiatry. doi:10.1007/s40596-014-0240-6 [online]
- Dr. Deborah Goebert, Professor, was interviewed on her and her colleague’s multi-site study on depression in medical students. The references is as follows: Rubin, R. (2014). Recent suicides highlight need to address depression in medical students and residents. Journal of the American Medical Association, 312, 1725-1727.
- Education and Training
- Chair Updates:
Dr. James Pearce was awarded the Excellence in Education from Straub.
Dr. Shaylin Chock and family – new baby boy
Dr. Jon Streltzer on his retirement from UH December 30.
CLER Site Visit will be on 12/16 and 17
Congratulations to Dr. Lori Karan for her work on “Electronic Cigarettes in Jail: A Panacea or Public Health Problem?” published in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)!
Chair Updates: State of the Department