- Announcements and Recognitions
- Please welcome two new staff to the Department: Ashley Ahn, UME Coordinator and Medical Assistant; and Tran Byrne, Fiscal Clerk
- Dr. James Agapoff (Psychiatry) along with Dr. Colin Doyle (Surgery) received commissions in the grade of Captain (O-3), Medical Corps, U.S. Army Reserve with the Uniformed Services Oath of Office administered by Captain William F. Haning, III, MC, USN (ret.), Department of Psychiatry Residency Program Director. More on this story: http://jabsom.hawaii.edu/serving-the-nation-two-graduating-mds-are-commissioned-to-the-military/
- JABSOM Commencement is May 16th
- JABSOM Convocation is May 17th
- Helm, S., Lee, W., Hanakahi, V., Gleason, K., McCarthy, K., & Haumana. (2015). Using Photovoice with youth to develop a drug prevention program in a rural Hawaiian community. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research, 22(1), 1-26. doi:10.5820/aian.2201.2015.1 (http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/PublicHealth/research/centers/CAIANH/journal/Pages/Volume22.aspx.)
- Li, M. D., Wang, J., Niu, T., Ma, J. Z., Seneviratne, C., Ait-Daoud, N., Saadvandi, J., Morris, R., Weiss, D., Campbell, J., Haning, W., Mawhinney, D. J., Weis, D., McCann, M., Stock, C., Kahn, R., Iturriaga, E., Yu, E., Elksher, A., & Johnson, B. A. (2014). Transcriptome profiling and pathway analysis of genes expressed differentially in participants with or without a positive response to topiramate treatment for methamphetamine addiction. BMC Medical Genomics, 7(65), 1-15. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1755-8794/7/65
- Hishinuma, E. S., Chang, J. Y., Goebert, D. A., Helm, S., Else, I. R. N., & Sugimoto-Matsuda, J. J. (2015). Interpersonal youth violence perpetration and victimization in a diverse Asian American and Pacific Islander adolescent sample. Violence and Victims, 30(2), 225-249. http://dx.doi.org/10.1891/0886-6708.VV-D-13-00043
Ordering info: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/springer/vav/pre-prints/content-VV2014-Nov_A4_Hishinuma_001-025
- Chair’s updates:
The Department of Psychiatry has initiated the IPASS system sign out into the clinical and training divisions. Training has begun in select areas, using the IPASS template in the Epic EHR. Our goal is to have all residents complete the IPASS video simulation by the end of January. Please see the link below for details.
The University of Hawaii and UCERA employees may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. The PSFL is a loan repayment program that is available to full-time public service employees. Borrowers can qualify for forgiveness of their remaining balance of their Direct Federal Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments made after October 1, 2007 while employed full-time by public service employers.
Click this link for more info.
Have you considered what you would do if your phone or tablet were ever lost or stolen? Do you keep emails, notes, contact information, and other data stored that you would want protected?
Consider syncing your mobile devices with DOP email, using the ActiveSync/Exchange option. Continue reading
Congratulations to Dr. Naleen N. Andrade for being one of the recipients of the I Ulu I Ke Kumu Award from the School of Hawaiian Knowledge, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa. The recognition is awarded to those who continually invigorate our lives and inspire our understanding and knowledge. Dr. Anthony P. S. Guerrero, Chair, Department of Psychiatry, was one of the speakers introducing Dr. Andrade. The following are his remarks:
Dr. Naleen Naupaka Andrade was the third chair of the University of Hawai‘i Department of Psychiatry. She is a graduate of UH-Hilo Continue reading
- Announcements and recognitions:
- Congratulations to Dr. Daniel Alicata for 10 years of service to the University of Hawaii.
- The American College of Psychiatrists on 20 February, Dr. William Haning and Dr. Junji Takeshita were installed as Members. Dr. Iqbal Ahmed, a Member, was advanced to the level of Fellow.
- Dr. William Haning for being featured in Midweek this week discussing methamphetamine. He also mentioned Dr. Lori Karan. http://www.midweek.com/hawaii-medical-advice/doctor-in-the-house/psychiatry-meth-addiction/?pid=18953#pulse-gallery
- Streltzer, J., Davidson, R., & Goebert, D. (2015). An observational study of buprenorphine treatment of prescription opioid dependent pain patient. American Journal on Addiction, doi:10.1111/AJAD.12198. [online version]
- Chair’s updates:
- Award and recognitions
- Dr. Junji Takeshita has been appointed to the International Advisory Committee of the 23rd World Congress on Psychosomatic Medicine organized by the College of Psychosomatic Medicine (ICPM).
- Derauf, C., LaGasse, L., Smith, L., Newman, E., Shah, R., Arria, A., Huestis, M., Haning, W., Strauss, A., Della Grotta, S., Dansereau, L., Lin, H., & Lester, B. (2011). Infant temperament and high-risk environment relate to behavior problems and language in toddlers. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 32(2), 125-135.
- McArdle, J. J., Petway, K. T., & Hishinuma, E. S. (2015). IRT for growth and change. In S. P. Reise & D. A. Revicki (Eds.), Handbook of item response theory modeling: Applications to typical performance assessment (pp. 435-456). New York: Routledge.
- Chung-Do, J. J., Goebert, D. A., Chang, J. Y., & Hamagami, F. (2015). Developing a comprehensive school connectedness scale for program evaluation. Journal of School Health, 85, 179-188.
- Hirota, T., Guerrero, A., Sartorius, N., Fung, D., Leventhal, B., Ong, S. H., Kaneko, H., Kim, B., Cho, S.-C., Skokauskas, N., & Consortium on Academic Child and Adolescent Psychiatry in the Far East. (2014). Child and adolescent psychiatry in the Far East. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 1-7. doi:101111/pcn.12248
- Awards and Recognitions
- APA Fellow: Drs. Asad Ghiasuddin, Abhishek Mehra and Susan Solimine
- APA Distinguished Fellow: Dr. Junji Takeshita
- Dr. William Haning who was recently appointed as the Interim Editor-in-Chief of the publication, the ASAM Weekly, published by the American Society of Addiction Medicine. Dr. Lori Karan, Chair of ASAM’s Publications Council, will also be contributing to the editorial effort while ASAM seeks a permanent replacement for Dr. Richard Soper
- Dr. James Spira was a recent guest on Hawaii Public Radio to discuss the issue of psychologists’ and health care providers’ unethical involvement in the use of torture. http://hpr2.org/post/liquefied-natural-gas-mochi-pounding-torture-report-nacf-ceo
- Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed.). The following are the book chapters by our compensated faculty:
- Leigh, H., & Streltzer, J. (2015). Special procedures: Intravenous sedative interviews, Hoover test, Waddell Tests, and hypnosis. In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 539-546). New York: Springer.
- Koli, R. L., & Guerrero, A. P. S. (2015). Consultation-liaison with children and adolescents. In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 497-519). New York: Springer.
- Streltzer, J. (2015). Chronic pain (somatic symptom disorder with predominant pain). In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 303-316). New York: Springer.
- Streltzer, J. (2015). Substance related and addictive disorders. In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 279-290). New York: Springer.
- Streltzer, J., & Leigh, H. (2015). Interviewing in consultation-liaison psychiatry. In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 63-68). New York: Springer.
- Streltzer, J., & Tseng, W.S. (2015). Cultural aspects of consultation-liaison psychiatry. In H. Leigh & J. Streltzer (Eds.), Handbook of consultation-liaison psychiatry (2nd ed., pp. 139-153). New York: Springer.
- Chairs updates