The Department of Psychiatry welcomes Neil Gray, MD, PhD to the ‘ohana. Dr. Gray received his due doctorate degrees in medicine and philosophy from Columbia University. He completed his Psychiatry Residency at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital and New York State Psychiatric Institute. Dr. Gray’s research interest is in 1st episode psychosis. His clinical interests include community psychiatry and severe persistent mental illness.
- Announcements and Recognitions:
- Dr. Jeanelle Sugimoto Matsuda interviewed by Hawaii News Now. View the article: the Woman Who Lost Son to Suicide: “We need to be the brave ones” – http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsnow/db_330510/contentdetail.htm?full=true&contentguid=cUyvvT8u&pn=&ps=#display
- Dr. Naleen Andrade featured in University of Hawaii News. View the article: “Naleen Andrade Honored for Advancing Diversity in Mental Health” – https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2017/09/12/andrade-aacap-award/
- Dr. Alicata as co-author/committee member for: American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) Committee on Telepsychiatry and AACAP Committee on Quality Issues. (2017). Clinical Update: Telepsychiatry With children and adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Children and Adolescent Psychiatry, 56(10), 875-893. doi:10.1016/j.jaac.2017.07.008
- Louie, A. K., Balon, R., Beresin, E. V., Coverdale, J. H., Brenner, A. M., Guerrero, A. P. S., & Roberts, L. W. (2017). Teaching to see behaviors—Using machine learning. Academic Psychiatry. doi:10.1007/s40596-017-0786-1 [online first]
- Gavero, G. C., & Guerrero, A. P. S. (2017). My teacher Baymax: Lessons from the film Big Hero 6. Academic Psychiatry. doi:10.1007/s40596-017-0803-4 [online first]
- Chair Updates:
Department of Psychiatry welcomes Sara Haack, MD to the ‘ohana. Dr. Haack received her medical degree from the University of Michigan Medical School, and completed her Psychiatry Residency and Integrated Care Fellowship at the University of Washington. Dr. Haack’s clinical and research interests include integrated care and emergency psychiatry.
Check out our Career Opportunities page for new jobs listings in the field of Psychiatry.
The Department of Psychiatry has initiated the IPASS system sign out into the clinical and training divisions. Training has begun in select areas, using the IPASS template in the Epic EHR. Our goal is to have all residents complete the IPASS video simulation by the end of January. Please see the link below for details.
The University of Hawaii and UCERA employees may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. The PSFL is a loan repayment program that is available to full-time public service employees. Borrowers can qualify for forgiveness of their remaining balance of their Direct Federal Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments made after October 1, 2007 while employed full-time by public service employers.
Click this link for more info.
- Announcements and Recognitions:
- Congratulations to Dr. Susana Helm – Promoted to Full Professor
- Congratulations to Dr. Naleen Andrade – 2017 recipient of the Jeanne Spurlock Lecture and Award on Diversity and Culture of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP)
- Dr. Evan Taniguchi selected as the resident representative for the American Associate of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training (AADPRT) Recruitment Subcommittee 2017-2018
- Lee, J. C., & Takayesu, A. G. (2017). Gambling disorder and concurrent alcohol use disorder treated with Naltrexone. Primary Care Companion, 19(4). doi:10.4088/PCC.16102082
- Guerrero, A. P. S., & Roberts, L. W. (2017). Snapshots from the cutting edge: Innovations in child and adolescent psychiatry training to address workforce shortages. Academic Psychiatry. doi:10.1007/s40596-017-0776-3 [online first]
- Solimine, S., Chan, S., & Morihara, S. K. (2017). Cotard Syndrome: “I’m dead, so why do I need to eat?” Primary Care Companion, 18(2). doi:10.4088/PCC.15/01862
- Ling, W., Chang, L., Hillhouse M., Ang, A., Striebel, J., Jenkins, J., Hernandez, J., Olaer, M., Mooney, L., Reed, S., Fukaya, E., Kogachi, S., Alicata, D., Holmes, N. & Esagoff, A. (2014). Sustained-release methylphenidate in a randomized trial of treatment of methamphetamine use disorder. Addiction, 109(9), 1489-1500. doi: 10.1111/add.12608
- Helm, S., & Davis, K. (2017). Puni Ke Ola: Drug prevention in rural Hawaiian Community. Global Journal of Community Psychology Practice, 8(2), 1-6. http://www.gjcpp.org/pdfs/SB4-HelmDavis_Final.pdf
- Helm, S., Davis, K., & Haumana. (2017). Challenges and lessons learned in implementing a community-academic partnership for drug prevention in a Native Hawaiian community. Puerto Rico Health Sciences Journal, 36(2), 101-106. http://prhsj.rcm.upr.edu/index.php/prhsj/article/view/1568/1074
- Peeples, D., Guerrero, A., Bernstein, B., Hunt, J., Ong, S. H., Santos, C., Sexson, S., & Skokaukas, N. (2017). Comparing and contrasting the use of problem-based learning in child and adolescent psychiatry programs. Academic Psychiatry. doi:10.1007/s40596-017-0719-z [online first]
- Roberts, L. W., Louie, A. K., Guerrero, A. P. S., Balon, R., Beresin, E. V., Brenner, A., & Coverdale, J. (2017). Premature mortality among people with mental illness: Advocacy in academic psychiatry. Academic Psychiatry. doi:10.1007/s40596-017-0738-9 [online first]
- Motlova, L. B., Balon, R., Beresin, E. V., Brenner, A. M., Coverdale, J. H., Guerrero, A. P. S., Louie, A. K., Roberts, L. W. (2017). Psychoeducation as an opportunity for patients, psychiatrists, and psychiatric educators: Why do we ignore it? Academic Psychiatry. doi:10.1007/s40596-017-0728-y. [online first]
- Lu, B. Y., Onoye, J., Nguyen, A., Takeshita, J., & Ahmed, I. (2017). Increased elderly utilization of psychiatric emergency resources as a reflection of the growing mental health crisis facing our aging population. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 25(6), 680-681.
- Okamoto, S. K., Helm, S., Ostrowski, L. K., & Flood L. (2017). The validation of a school-based, culturally grounded drug prevention curriculum for rural Hawaiian youth. Health Promotion Practice. doi:10.1177/1524839917704210 [online first]
- Schultz, B. R., Takeshita, J., Goebert, D., Takeshita, S., Lu, B. Y., Guilloux, A., & Higa, J. (2017). Simultaneous usage of dementia medications and anticholinergics among Asians and Pacific Islanders. Psychogeriatrics. doi:10.1111/psyg.12267 [online first]
- Chair Updates: