- Dr. Evan Taniguchi selected as the resident representative for American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training
- Dr. Deborah Goebert featured on PBS Insights Hawaii’s “What do we need to Know and Understand about Teen Suicide in Hawaii?”
- SAVE THE DATE: Annual Meeting (replacing the July faculty meeting) will be on July 10th from 10am to 2pm at QCC
- Eckert, M. D., Agapoff, IV, J., Goebert, D. A., & Hishinuma, E. S. (2018). Training psychiatry residents in patient handoffs within the context of the clinical learning environment review. Academic Psychiatry. doi:10.1007/s40596-017-0821-2 [online first]
- Robeck, I., Pohl, M., Weaver, M., Weiner, M., Malinoff, H., Waller, C., Haning, W., & Wilford, B. B. (Eds.). (2018). The American Society of Addiction Medicine Handbook on Pain and Addiction. New York: University of Oxford Press.
- Azer, S. A., Bokhari, R. A., Alsaleh, G. S., Alabdulaaly, M. M., Ateeq, K. I., Guerrero, A. P. S., & Azer, S. (2018). Experience of parents of children with autism on YouTube: Are there educationally useful videos? Informatics for Health and Social Care. doi:10.1080/17538157.2018.1431238
- Chair’s Update:
Check out our Career Opportunities page for new jobs listings in the field of Psychiatry.
The Department of Psychiatry has initiated the IPASS system sign out into the clinical and training divisions. Training has begun in select areas, using the IPASS template in the Epic EHR. Our goal is to have all residents complete the IPASS video simulation by the end of January. Please see the link below for details.
The University of Hawaii and UCERA employees may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. The PSFL is a loan repayment program that is available to full-time public service employees. Borrowers can qualify for forgiveness of their remaining balance of their Direct Federal Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments made after October 1, 2007 while employed full-time by public service employers.
Click this link for more info.
Topic: What Do We Need to Know and Understand About Teen Suicide in Hawai‘i?
- Kealoha Hooper (Molokai)
- Gina Kaulukukui (Kauai)
- Miki Nishizawa (Hawaii Youth Leadership Council for Suicide Prevention)
- Deborah Goebert
- Congratulations to the Psychiatry General Program on their match for 2018-2018 interns
- Thank you to Dr. Barry Carlton for his leadership in his roles as QMC Chief of Psychiatry and the Director of Medical Education and Patient Care in the QMC Adult and Child Inpatient units. Dr. Takeshita will succeed Dr. Carlton as the QMC Chief of Psychiatry and DMEPC for the QMC Adult Inpatient units and Dr. Eckert for the Child Inpatient unit.
- Dr. Koli will be relocating May 2018
- The Strategic Plan survey is due April 2nd. See your email for more details.
- Clausen, C. E., Guerrero, A. P. S., Oshodi, Y. O., Bazaid, K., Leventhal, B., Silva, F. D., Azeem, M. W., Tateno, M., Wiguna, T., Kaligis, F., & Skokaukas, N. (2017). Advancing global child and adolescent mental health. Journal of the Norwegian Medical Association (Tidsskriftet den Norske Legeforening). doi:10.4045/tidsskr.17.0639, http://tidsskriftet.no/en/2017/12/global-helse/advancing-global-child-and-adolescent-mental-health
- Goebert, D., Hamagami, F., Hishinuma, E. S., Chung-Do, J. J., & Sugimoto-Matsuda, J. (2018). Change pathways in indigenous and nonindigenous youth suicide. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior. doi:10.1111/sltb.12420 [online first]
- Coverdale, J., Balon, R., Beresin, E. V., Brenner, A. M., Guerrero, A. P. S., Louie, A. K., & Roberts, L. W. (2018). Family planning and the scope of the “reproductive psychiatry” curriculum. Academic Psychiatry. doi: 10.1007/s40596-018-0884-8. [online first]
- Chair’s Update:
- Balon, R., Beresin, E. V., & Guerrero, A. (2017). Medical-education-industrial complex? Academic Psychiatry. doi.10.1007/s40596-017-0856-4
- Tateno, M., Inagaki, T., Saito, T., Guerrero, A. P. S., & Skokauskas, N. (2017). Current challenges and future opportunities for child and adolescent psychiatry in Japan. Psychiatric Investigation, 14(5), 525-531. doi:10.4306/pi.2017.14.5.525
- Chair’s Update:
- Announcements and Recognitions:
- Congratulations to Dr. Susana Helm on her 10-years of service award.
- Mahalo to Dr. Ernest Alaimalo for all your years of service. We will miss you. Link to the Star Advertiser obituary: http://obits.staradvertiser.com/2017/11/05/ernest-doc-ernie-p-alaimalo-m-d/
- Goebert, D., & Sugimoto-Matsuda, J. (2017). Advancing suicide prevention in Hawai‘i. Hawai‘i Journal of Medicine and Public Health, 76(11), 310-313.
- Ghiasuddin, A. (2017). Child and adolescent psychiatric consultation in Micronesia. Journal of Rural Mental Health. doi:10.1037/rmh0000080 [online first]
- Solimine, S., Takeshita, J., Goebert, D., Lee, J., Schultz, B., Guerrero, M., Tanael, M., Pilar, M., Fleming, L., Kracher, S., Lawyer, L. (2017). Characteristics of patients with constant observers. Psychosomatics. doi:10.1016/j.psym.2017.08.003 [online first]
- Chair updates: