- Announcements and Recognitions:
- Welcome back current residents to a new year and welcome new residents!
- Louie, R. K. (2015, July 6). The psychiatry of entrepreneurship as a pathway to international security. British Journal of Psychiatry, e-letter. http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/190/1/81.2.e-letters#the-psychiatry-of-entrepreneurship-as-a-pathway-to-international-security
- Serghi, A., Goebert, D. A., Andrade, N. N., Hishinuma, E. S., Lunsford, R. M., & Matsuda, N. M. (2015). One model of residency journal clubs with multifaceted support. Teaching and Learning in Medicine, 27(3), 329-340. doi.org/10.1080/10401334.2015.1044658
- Ghiasuddin, A., Wong, J., & Siu, A. M. (2015). Ethnicity, traditional healing practices, and attitudes towards complementary medicine of a pediatric oncology population receiving healing touch in Hawai‘i. Asia-Pacific Journal of Oncology Nursing
- Whealin, J. M., Nelson, D., Stotzer, R., Guerrero, A., Carpenter, M, & Pietrzak, R. H. (2015). Risk and resilience factors associated with posttraumatic stress in ethno-racially diverse National Guard members in Hawai‘i. Psychiatric Research, 227, 270-277. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2015.02.023
- Chung-Do, J., Goebert, D. A., Hamagami, F., Chang, J. Y., & Hishinuma, E. S. (2015). Understanding the role of school connectedness and its association with violent attitudes and behaviors among an ethnically diverse sample of youth. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. [online version]
- Chair’s Updates:
The Department of Psychiatry Gift Celebration took place on July 26, 2015, at the JABSOM Medical Education Building.
The event recognized the Department of Psychiatry’s faculty for their generous investments to establish the Walter F. Char, M.D., John F. McDermott, M.D., and Naleen N. Andrade, M.D., Endowed Professorship.
Our three Chair Emeriti—Drs. Walter F. Char, John F. McDermott, and Naleen N. Andrade—and present Chair—Dr. Anthony P. S. Guerrero—were recognized and honored for their tremendous contributions to the Department of Psychiatry, JABSOM, and Hawai‘i.
Check out our Career Opportunities page for jobs listings in the field of Psychiatry. Follow us on Twitter @UHPsych to receive up to date postings.
The Department of Psychiatry has initiated the IPASS system sign out into the clinical and training divisions. Training has begun in select areas, using the IPASS template in the Epic EHR. Our goal is to have all residents complete the IPASS video simulation by the end of January. Please see the link below for details.
The University of Hawaii and UCERA employees may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. The PSFL is a loan repayment program that is available to full-time public service employees. Borrowers can qualify for forgiveness of their remaining balance of their Direct Federal Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments made after October 1, 2007 while employed full-time by public service employers.
Click this link for more info.
- Dr. Drake Chinen, recipient of the Char Award in Psychiatry
- Congratulations to all our graduating Residents and Fellows
- Welcome back from the APA: Drs. Danz, Lee, Louie, Takeshita, and Williams
- Welcome back from the Society for Prevention Research: Dr. Helm
- Chair’s Update:
- State of the Department
- Reminder to all faculty, staff, residents, and fellow: Extended Faculty meeting on July 7, 2015 at 10:00am at the QMC Kamehameha Auditorium
- Reminder to RSVP for the Endowment Celebration by 6/19 on 6/25, 5:30pm.
- Reminder: Aloha Party on 6/19
- Congratulations to Dr. Jane Onoye for her 10 years of service
- Louie, R. K. (2015). The psychiatry of entrepreneurship. Academic Psychiatry. http://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40596-015-0288-y
- Suzuki, R., Goebert, G., Ahmed, I., & Lu, B. (2015). Folk and biological perceptions of dementia among Asian ethnic minorities in Hawai‘i. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 23(6), 589-595. doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2014.03.012
- Chair’s updates:
- State of the Department
- July 7th from 10am to 2pm is the extended Faculty Meeting at Kamehameha Auditorium
- Announcements and Recognitions
- Please welcome two new staff to the Department: Ashley Ahn, UME Coordinator and Medical Assistant; and Tran Byrne, Fiscal Clerk
- Dr. James Agapoff (Psychiatry) along with Dr. Colin Doyle (Surgery) received commissions in the grade of Captain (O-3), Medical Corps, U.S. Army Reserve with the Uniformed Services Oath of Office administered by Captain William F. Haning, III, MC, USN (ret.), Department of Psychiatry Residency Program Director. More on this story: http://jabsom.hawaii.edu/serving-the-nation-two-graduating-mds-are-commissioned-to-the-military/
- JABSOM Commencement is May 16th
- JABSOM Convocation is May 17th
- Helm, S., Lee, W., Hanakahi, V., Gleason, K., McCarthy, K., & Haumana. (2015). Using Photovoice with youth to develop a drug prevention program in a rural Hawaiian community. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research, 22(1), 1-26. doi:10.5820/aian.2201.2015.1 (http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/PublicHealth/research/centers/CAIANH/journal/Pages/Volume22.aspx.)
- Li, M. D., Wang, J., Niu, T., Ma, J. Z., Seneviratne, C., Ait-Daoud, N., Saadvandi, J., Morris, R., Weiss, D., Campbell, J., Haning, W., Mawhinney, D. J., Weis, D., McCann, M., Stock, C., Kahn, R., Iturriaga, E., Yu, E., Elksher, A., & Johnson, B. A. (2014). Transcriptome profiling and pathway analysis of genes expressed differentially in participants with or without a positive response to topiramate treatment for methamphetamine addiction. BMC Medical Genomics, 7(65), 1-15. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1755-8794/7/65
- Hishinuma, E. S., Chang, J. Y., Goebert, D. A., Helm, S., Else, I. R. N., & Sugimoto-Matsuda, J. J. (2015). Interpersonal youth violence perpetration and victimization in a diverse Asian American and Pacific Islander adolescent sample. Violence and Victims, 30(2), 225-249. http://dx.doi.org/10.1891/0886-6708.VV-D-13-00043
Ordering info: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/springer/vav/pre-prints/content-VV2014-Nov_A4_Hishinuma_001-025
- Chair’s updates: