The Department’s mission is to contribute to the overall mission of the John A. Burn’s School of Medicine by providing leadership in psychiatric education and training, research, faculty development and clinical services in Hawaii, Asia and the Pacific Basin. The Department is committed to expanding knowledge within a cross-cultural, biological psychological and social framework.
The vision of the Department is to enhance its existing core components and establish an integrated, five-part program comprised of:
- Education and Training of medical students, residents, other mental health graduate students and community mental health and primary care providers.
- Clinical Services, which include a broad spectrum of state-of-the art psychiatric care of patients, with particular focus on developing new models of care for all patients including special populations with a commitment to the disadvantaged, indigent and severely mentally ill.
- Mental health research, both psychosocial and neurobiological, in the areas of epidemiology, special population research, cultural psychiatry and prevention and treatment interventions among the ethnic groups of Hawaii, Asia and the Pacific.
- Faculty Development, which assures academic advancement, professional growth and stability.
- Administrative support, which effects sound business management principles and which maximizes the appropriate leveraging of department dollars.
- Aloha – the self-less giving without the expectation of reciprocity…the ability for us to empathize with others and treat our colleagues and those we serve with the sensitivity and respect that brings out their (and our) best qualities and strengths to define, then complete our tasks with excellence.
- Lōkahi – the ability for us to be Servant-Leaders who strive to establish a set of working relationships that build a team or an ‘ohana…These relationships seek to achieve balance or harmony within ourselves and with others…It is balancing the needs of the individual with the needs of those we serve.
- ‘Ohana – a family or team bonded by a continuous thread of history, culture and/or aims…While the environment can alter the shape and operations of the our Department, as an ‘Ohana, these changes will not sever the fundamental historical and strategic threads that define who we are and how we will respond in an unknown future. Our ‘Ohana faces adversity together, coalescing the sum of our diverse talents to create something new – to become something more than when we began. And, we savor and celebrate (without gloating or becoming complacent) our achievements