- Chung-Do, J. J., Goebert, D. A., Bifulco, K., Tydingco, T., Alvarez, A., Rehuher, D., Sugimoto-Matsuda, J., Arume, B., & Wilcox, P. (2015). Hawai‘i’s Caring Communities Initiative: Mobilizing rural and ethnic minority communities for youth suicide prevention. Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice, 8(4), 108-123.
- Chair’s updates:
Topic: Anxiety Disorders
Date: Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Time: 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm HST
Presenter: Gretchen Gavero D.O.
Registration Link: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7146701706099442433
- Congratulations to Dr. Ryan Louie who was selected for the Fellowship Award of the 112th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society of Psychiatry and Neurology (JSPN). This is a prestigious international recognition for Dr. Louie. As part of the award events, he will be providing a presentation during the June 2-4, 2016 meeting in Chiba, Japan.
- McDermott, J. F., Choy, Z. C., & Guerrero, A. P. S. (2015). The last illness and death of Hawai‘i’s King Kalakaua: A new historical/clinical perspective. Hawaiian Journal of History, 49, 59-72.
- Dr. Ryan Louie was interviewed on the Psychiatry of Entrepreneurship: “Inside the Mind of the Entrepreneur: In the pressure cooker world of startups, it’s taboo to seek care for anxiety, depression and other mental-health issues. A Honolulu doctor wants to change that.” by Kathryn Drury Wagner. Hawaii Business. November 2015. Pages 30-31. http://www.hawaiibusiness.com/inside-the-mind-of-an-entrepreneur/
- Alicata, D., Schroepfer, A., Unten, T., Agoha, R., Helm, S., Fukuda, M., Ulrich, D., & Michels, S. (2015). Telemental health training, team building, and workforce development in cultural context: The Hawaii experience. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 25. doi:10.1089/cap.2015.0036 [online first]
- Welcome back to Drs. Alicata and Ghiasuddin who presented at the AACAP on “Problem-Based Learning in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,” a special interest group with Dr. Guerrero participating via VTC.
- Congratulations (and welcome back from AACAP) to Dr. Shrestha as the recipient of the 2015 Dr. Jack McDermott Trainee Leadership Award from the Hawaii Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Special thanks to Drs. Carlton, Gavero, Guerrero, Kissinger, Lu and Williams for volunteering to help with coverage DPS/OCCC.
- Lee, J. C., & Takeshita, J. (2015). Antipsychotic-induced dysphagia: A case report. Primary Care Companion, CNS Disorders, 17(5), e1. doi:10.4088/PCC.15101792 [online version]
- Ghiasuddin, A., Luk, S., & Hishinuma, E. (2015). “Marathon Boy”: The use of film in problem-based learning in child psychiatry. Indian Journal of Psychiatry, 57(3), 322-323.
- Chair’s updates:
I would like to encourage you all to support the Joint UH Psych Department/HPMA NAMI Walks 2015 team! I’m excited to announce that we will be walking together with HPMA members and the UH Psych Department. It should be a great opportunity to network for everyone, and a fun event for a great cause. If you are interested and available, please join our team to be present at the walk (no cost to register). Please also consider donating if you are able to do so in order to help our team reach its goal of $1000. Family and friends are also more than welcome!
Location: Honolulu Hale Civic Grounds – Sky Gate
Date: Sat Oct 3
Check-in: 8:00 am
Start Time: 9:00 am
Register to walk and/or donate: http://namiwalks.nami.org/UHPsychandHPMA
- Announcements and Recognition:
- William F. Haning III, M.D. will be serving, in addition to his roles at DoP, as the Director of Undergraduate Medical Education at JABSOM.
- Congratulations to William F. Haning III and M.D., and Junji Takeshita, MD who were installed as members of the American College of Psychiatrist (ACP) and Iqbal Ahmed, M.D., a Clinical Professor with Psychiatry, who was advanced to the level of Fellow.
- Jon Streltzer, M.D. was awarded the title of Emeritus Professor
- 2015 Honolulu Magazine edition of Top Doctors (http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Event-Photo-Galleries/September-2015/Top-Doctors-Celebration-2015/):
- Psychiatry: Brett Lu, M.D. and Jon Streltzer, M.D.
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry: Barry Carlton, M.D.
- Geriatric Psychiatry: Junji Takeshita, M.D.
- Includes a JABSOM insert with interviews with Naleen Andrade, M.D. and Jack McDermott, M.D., former Chairs of Psychiatry
- Smith, L. M., Dias, S., LaGasse, L. L., Wouldes, T., Derauf, C., Newman, E., Arria, A., Huestis, M. A., Haning, W., Strauss, A., Grotta, S. D., Dansereau, L. M., Neal, C., & Lester, B. M. (2015). Developmental and behavioral consequences of prenatal methamphetamine exposure: A review of the Infant Development, Environment, and Lifestyle (IDEAL) study. Neurotoxicology and Teratology, 51, 35-44. doi:10.1016/j.ntt.2015.07.006