- Welcome back to Drs. Alicata and Ghiasuddin who presented at the AACAP on “Problem-Based Learning in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,” a special interest group with Dr. Guerrero participating via VTC.
- Congratulations (and welcome back from AACAP) to Dr. Shrestha as the recipient of the 2015 Dr. Jack McDermott Trainee Leadership Award from the Hawaii Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Special thanks to Drs. Carlton, Gavero, Guerrero, Kissinger, Lu and Williams for volunteering to help with coverage DPS/OCCC.
- Lee, J. C., & Takeshita, J. (2015). Antipsychotic-induced dysphagia: A case report. Primary Care Companion, CNS Disorders, 17(5), e1. doi:10.4088/PCC.15101792 [online version]
- Ghiasuddin, A., Luk, S., & Hishinuma, E. (2015). “Marathon Boy”: The use of film in problem-based learning in child psychiatry. Indian Journal of Psychiatry, 57(3), 322-323.
- Chair’s updates:
I would like to encourage you all to support the Joint UH Psych Department/HPMA NAMI Walks 2015 team! I’m excited to announce that we will be walking together with HPMA members and the UH Psych Department. It should be a great opportunity to network for everyone, and a fun event for a great cause. If you are interested and available, please join our team to be present at the walk (no cost to register). Please also consider donating if you are able to do so in order to help our team reach its goal of $1000. Family and friends are also more than welcome!
Location: Honolulu Hale Civic Grounds – Sky Gate
Date: Sat Oct 3
Check-in: 8:00 am
Start Time: 9:00 am
Register to walk and/or donate: http://namiwalks.nami.org/UHPsychandHPMA
- Announcements and Recognition:
- William F. Haning III, M.D. will be serving, in addition to his roles at DoP, as the Director of Undergraduate Medical Education at JABSOM.
- Congratulations to William F. Haning III and M.D., and Junji Takeshita, MD who were installed as members of the American College of Psychiatrist (ACP) and Iqbal Ahmed, M.D., a Clinical Professor with Psychiatry, who was advanced to the level of Fellow.
- Jon Streltzer, M.D. was awarded the title of Emeritus Professor
- 2015 Honolulu Magazine edition of Top Doctors (http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Event-Photo-Galleries/September-2015/Top-Doctors-Celebration-2015/):
- Psychiatry: Brett Lu, M.D. and Jon Streltzer, M.D.
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry: Barry Carlton, M.D.
- Geriatric Psychiatry: Junji Takeshita, M.D.
- Includes a JABSOM insert with interviews with Naleen Andrade, M.D. and Jack McDermott, M.D., former Chairs of Psychiatry
- Smith, L. M., Dias, S., LaGasse, L. L., Wouldes, T., Derauf, C., Newman, E., Arria, A., Huestis, M. A., Haning, W., Strauss, A., Grotta, S. D., Dansereau, L. M., Neal, C., & Lester, B. M. (2015). Developmental and behavioral consequences of prenatal methamphetamine exposure: A review of the Infant Development, Environment, and Lifestyle (IDEAL) study. Neurotoxicology and Teratology, 51, 35-44. doi:10.1016/j.ntt.2015.07.006
Check out our Career Opportunities page for new jobs listings in the field of Psychiatry.
- Announcements and Recognitions:
- Jane Onoye, Ph.D. – 10 years of service
- Ana Hilde,M.D. – elected as GME Advisory Council member
- Lee, J. C., Nakama, H., Goebert, D., & Alicata, D. (2015). Gender differences in reasons for methamphetamine use in an ethnically diverse population in Hawai‘i. Journal of Substance Use, 20(2), 93-96. doi:10.3109/14659891.2013.859753.
- Chair’s updates:
- State of the Department: Strategic Plan 2015-2016
Dr. Barry Carlton was featured in Hawaii News Now, about the state of psychiatric care for the poor.
Click here for the full story and video clip http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/29765548/the-poor-face-huge-gaps-in-psychiatric-care-worsening-their-condition