- Awards and Recognitions:
- Congratulations to Dr. Iqbal “Ike” Ahmed as the 2019 recipient of the American Psychiatric Association Jack Weinberg award.
- Schultz, B. R., Lu, B. Y., Onoye, J. M., & Toohey, T. P. (2018). High resource utilization of psychiatric emergency services by methamphetamine users. Hawai‘i Journal of Medicine and Public Health, 77(12), 312-314. https://www.hjmph.org/HJMPH_Dec18.pdf
- Hirota, T., Guerrero, A., Sartorius, N., Fung, D., Leventhal, B., Ong, S. H., Kaneko, H., Apinuntavech, S., Bennett, A., Bhoomikumar, J., Cheon, K.-A., Davaasuren, O., Gau, S., Hall, B., Koren, E., van Nguyen, T., Oo, T., Tan, S., Tateno, M., Thikeo, M., Wiguna, T., Wong, M., Zheng, Y., & Skokauskas, N. (2018). Child and adolescent psychiatry in the Far East: A 5-year follow up on the Consortium on Academic Child and Adolescent Psychiatry in the Far East (CACAP-FE) study. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 1-6. [online first]
- Chair’s Update:
- Congratulations to Dr. William Haning III as the 2019 ASAM Annual Award recipient for his outstanding contributions to the growth and vitality ASAM, leadership, and understanding of the art and science of Addiction Medicine.
- Bell, Jr., I., Guerrero, A. P. S., & Ranga, J. S. (2019). Psychiatric training and black mental health. In E. E. H. Griffith, B. E. Jones, & A. J. Stewart (Eds.), Black mental health: Patients, providers, and systems (pp. 197-206). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association Publishing.
- Chair’s Update:
The Department of Psychiatry welcomes Michele Wang, MD to the ‘ohana. Dr. Wang received her medical degree from the University of California, San Francisco. She completed her Psychiatry Residency at the Mount Sinai Medical Center and Public Psychiatry Fellowship at the New York State Psychiatric Institute/Columbia Presbyterian Hospital. Her clinical interests include consult liaison and public psychiatry.
- Welcome to the Department of Psychiatry, Alexandra Takayesu, MD, MPH, who will be based out of Kapiolani Medical Specialists.
- Congratulations to Dr. Deborah Goebert, recipient of the “Aloha Award” for post-prevention suicide from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Hawaii Chapter
- Chen, Y. H., Howell, B., Edgar, J. C., Huang, M., Kochunov, P., Hunter, M. A., Wootton, C., Lu, B. Y., Bustillo, J., Sadek, J. R., & Miller, G. A. Associations and heritability of auditory encoding, gray matter, and attention in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin. doi:10.1093/schbul/sby111 [online first]
- Chen, Y. H., Stone-Howell, B., Edgar, J. C., Huang, M., Wootton, C., Hunter, M. A., Lu, B. Y., Sadek, J. R., Miller, G. A., & Cañive, J. M. (2016). Frontal slow-wave activity as a predictor of negative symptoms, cognition and functional capacity in schizophrenia. British Journal of Psychiatry, 208, 160-167. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.114.156075
- Stroup, T. S., & Gray, N. (2018). Management of common adverse effects of antipsychotic medications. World Psychiatry, 17, 341-356.
- Balon, R., Morreale, M. K., Coverdale, J. H., Brenner, A., Louie, A. K., Beresin, E. V., Guerrero, A. P. S., & Roberts, L. W. (2018). The role of psychiatric education in pain management. Academic Psychiatry. doi:10.1007/s40596-018-0965-8 [online first]
- Chair’s Update:
The Department of Psychiatry welcomes Jill Van Deventer to the ‘ohana. Jill will be the primary Administrative Assistant working with the Addiction and Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship programs as well as the General Psychiatry Program.
She grew up in Ohio but has made Hawaii her home. Relax time is important so look for her at a local beach on the weekend with her husband. Ask her about her adult children and stop by her desk to say hello!