Queen Emmaʻs Church in Kealakekua, Crossroads of Culture

Written by Nancee Cline, Humanities

Photo of Nancee Cline, HumanitiesI want share with my fellow HawCC Ohana my new book, Queen Emma’s Church in Kealakekua, Crossroads of Culture. It is the result of four years of research, interviews and creative, interdisciplinary writing, plus a publishing grant from the Hawaii Council for the Humanities.

As a condition of my grant, I will be giving a number of readings to the public and facilitating small discussion groups.  I will also be giving copies of the book to UH and HCC libraries.

For more information on the subject matter, I include the blurb from the back cover of the book:

Queen Emma’s Church in Kealakekua: Crossroads of Culture is aCover of Queen Emmaʻs Church in Kealakekua collection of stories, interviews and commentary concerning the life and history of a little Anglican church in Kealakekua, 143 years old.

The Anglican denomination first came to the islands with Captain Cook, and returned officially at the urging of Queen Emma and Kamehameha IV.  We know a great deal about the American missionaries  and the eventual Americanization of these Hawaiian Islands, but not a lot about the British contributions. Americans won the Revolutionary War against England, and in some ways, continued to fight it out here.   Kealakekua, far from the religious and political battles carried on in Honolulu, offers a simpler, quieter (nonetheless poignant and emblematic) story of life, change, and aloha in Hawaii.

This project embraces an interdisciplinary approach in a relaxed talk story style.  History is not treated as a subject by itself, but is tangled up with literature, music, philosophy, attitudes, trends, conflicts, opinions.  Interviewees are descendants of native Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, Philippine, European and American families.

This entry was posted in Connecting Through Culture. Bookmark the permalink.