Mission and Vision Statements of Hawaiʻi Community College are Reaffirmed by Faculty and Staff

by Kate Sims, Joel Tanabe, and Gwen Kimura

The Mission/Vision Statements were reaffirmed in an overwhelmingly affirmative response from faculty and staff at the Fall 2011 All College Meeting on August 18th, 2011.

One hundred fifty-five (155) College employees answered the question “Are the Mission and Vision Statements of Hawai’i Community College still relevant to the College?”  with a yes (compared to 11 who answered no).

Examples given of what “growth in the spirit of E ‘Imi Pono” means were heartfelt and inspirational.

Here is a sampling:       

I strive daily to help turn on the light in a person’s mind (spirit/soul), to help them to realize their potential as living, breathing, communal human beings.

Growth in the spirit of E ʻImi Pono means constantly growing as a teacher: seeking new and innovative ways to engage student learning.  It also means embracing all students regardless of their individual situations.

It means bridging all units of our college family.  E ‘Imi Pono means being      patient with one another.  It means creating meanings:  in myself and with my colleagues, our learners and the community.  It means continuous self-assessment!

Growth in the Spirit of E ‘Imi Pono means to hold my students to a high bar and to attempt to help them realize their ability and power to reach this bar.

It is to transfer the love of lifetime learning to the students so they are never satisfied and always work to learn more.

It means to serve all with whom I work, at the college and in the community, with the highest quality and compassion.

It’s a commitment to assisting students with learning the fundamentals of writing and research so they may take these essential skills into their individual lives and their own pursuit of excellence.

As in institutional support employee, the spirit of E ‘Imi Pono is to remove roadblocks that inhibit implementing program activities, to question bureaucratic procedures that do not appear to serve a purpose, and to do my work better today than yesterday.

As I climb the ladder of my own success, I would love to lift others along the way.  While the end result is important, I want to make a difference during the journey.

To me, it means to constantly pursue intellectual and professional growth as an instructor and member of the UH Learning community, all in the spirit of Aloha.

It means never settling for the easy path and always reaching higher.  For example, it means biting my tongue when a student is taking out his frustrations on me and searching for ways to empower him to find solutions.

We are being mentors to our ECE lab students who will be the future       preschool teachers in our community. Through guidance, encouragement, open communication, praise, and feedback, we help our students reach their full potential.  Our pre-school children, families, and lab students grow in many ways.  I feel we become a true “working ohana.”

I like the fact that the Mission Statement keeps a focus on Hawaiian culture, since the community college seems well placed to help those most lost in the western globalization of Hawaii.

E ‘Imi Pono is imbedded in my daily task of serving my unit, the college, and ultimately, the community.  No task is too small, no task too big.

Seeking excellence is a shaft of sunlight in the morning rainfall.  Both elements – sun and rain – are necessary for growth towards excellence. The sun is knowledge from every direction, the rain the local conditions.

Rigor, relevance, relationships are the basis of excellence in education.

Growth in the spirit of seeking excellence means that I extend myself full heartedly and full mindedly – open and honestly – to my work and to helping others that I work with and work for… to be here for my HawCC Community and the greater community in which I live.

For me, it means to ensure all students at this college are getting the best services that can be provided.

When instructors, professors, lecturers feel passion, meaning and purpose in themselves and can embrace the student so they can feel special and important and E ‘Imi Pono and attain joy in their academic pathway, that’s success!

It’s moving students from dependence to independence and professionalism.

The Spirit of E ‘Imi Pono is to recognize our work as a high calling with great significance – and not to lose sight of excellence as we get caught up with the mundane or frustrating details of the day.

We embrace the spirit of seeking excellence as teachers and also as representative of our West Hawai’i Community.  We remain open to learning from out students.

It means to love your work with each other and doing your best in helping your students succeed in higher education and professional development goals.

It means assisting students to discover more about their strengths and goals, encouraging them to learn how to learn, to increase their awareness of themselves and the world around them throughout their lives.  Students [should] leave college with the tools to make themselves independent, healthy, self -confident individuals with the skills they need for life learning and self-growth.

It means that when I come to work every day, I will have a purpose, meaning and passion for my students, community and college.

We are a family moving in the spirit of Aloha, all as ONE!!    

This entry was posted in Contributing Through Workforce. Bookmark the permalink.