Sherri Fujita – Intensive English Program Coordinator, OCET

Name: Sherri Fujita                                                  Sherri Fujita

Title/Department: Intensive English Program Coordinator (Instructor), OCET

My Hometown: I was born in New York. I grew up in Kansas City, Missouri. I spent my 20s in London and went to a university there. I later moved to Tokyo and spent almost 14 years there. I am at home where ever I am.

My favorite things about HawCC…The feeling of being part of a family and serving the community.

My hobbies and interests are…Obsessed with cooking and baking. I bake all the bread my family eats. I try hard to make whatever I can from scratch.

I love media/communication in almost every form. I like newspapers, magazines, the news on TV or the radio. I love my ipad and sleep with it under my pillow.

If you came to visit my office you would see…Piles of accreditation paperwork. Lots of posters and pictures drawn by my kids. Everything you need to make a good cup of tea and coffee.

I like the Big Island because…There is a strong host culture and you know where you are! You are free to be what you want. I like the easy-going, non-judgmental atmosphere. When I was ready to leave Tokyo I began to research where to live next. I spent a lot of time looking and considered places like New Zealand, and the US mainland. I chose Hilo because it had everything I was looking for, an academic community, a multicultural place for my kids to grow up, natural beauty, and laid-back lifestyle.

In my free time I like to…Hang out with my kids, read, listen (to the radio), watch (TV), bake something new, preferably involving chocolate.

This entry was posted in Employee/Learner Profiles. Bookmark the permalink.