Melissa Yamanaka – Outreach Specialist, Student Services

Name: Melissa Yamanaka     Melissa Yamanaka

Title/Department: Outreach Specialist, Student Services

My Hometown: Hilo

My favorite things about HawCC… Plain and simple, I love the people I get to work with. I started off as a student worker in 2003 and the people I’ve met along the way have taught me so much about myself and have helped instill a passion and drive within me to help students succeed.

My hobbies and interest are… I absolutely love traveling, seeing new places, and capturing beauty and memories through photography. I also enjoy meeting new people, making jewelry, and listening to music and singing (in the privacy of my car of course hehe).

If you came to visit my office you would see… a tea towel from New Zealand that adds color to the walls, my messy desk (haha) and a smile on my face…because you visited me! ☺

I like the Big Island because… my family is here and I feel very blessed to have been raised on this beautiful island. There are many breathtaking places on this island; however, my absolute favorite place is Mauna Kea. Whether I am on the summits, breathing in the crisp air, or in Hilo seeing her on a clear day, I am always reminded how lucky I am to live on this island.

In my free time I like to… take photos, spend time with family and friends, daydream and write poems, make earrings, and watch TV.

This entry was posted in Employee/Learner Profiles. Bookmark the permalink.