Kauhale Message: How does one who is not indigenous teach an indigenous learner in ways that are relevant and successful?

Aloha Kauhale Kākou!

Dear ʻohana, our campus profile gives us an immediate visual of the diversity we serve, the largest being Hawaiian/Part-Hawaiian.  The all-inclusive question is, do we know how our diverse learners learn best? Are our curricula reflective of diverse students’ learning styles, either in content, delivery, and/or assessment? Have we considered that there are multiple ways of knowing and learning? Are we also aware that indigenous orientations and ethnicity play large in defining learning styles?

One way of becoming sensitized to multiple learning styles for a diverse indigenous and ethnic student body is first assessing your own learning styles.  Yes, let’s start with you, the teacher.  When was the last time you assessed your personal learning styles? 

The three-minute challenge…

Although there are many personal learning assessments out there, may I introduce you to Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences? Here is a link to the online (free) assessment. www.literacyworks.org/.webloc Take the assessment and share the results with your colleagues. Use this assessment in your classroom and introduce your learners to the multiple ways in which we ALL learn.

Even more ideal, where/when appropriate, perhaps we may have the opportunity for learners to demonstrate their learning via their primary intelligence? Take the challenge, assess yourself, share your results, laugh and learn. Most importantly, how can we insure that ALL learners have an opportunity to demonstrate their learning via their primary intelligence?

So how does one who is not indigenous teach an indigenous learner in ways that are relevant and successful? Recognizing that our learners come in with primary, secondary, tertiary intelligences is a great start. Let’s begin with you and with me. How diverse are your learning styles?

Have fun with the assessment,
Taupōuri Tangarō
Kauhale Acting Director

BTW: The results of my assessment listed my top three intelligences Score (5.0 is highest): Self/Intrapersonal (4.71); Musical (3.86); Language (3.14)
I was not happy with the first result, so the following morning I took the test again: Self/intrapersonal; Language; Musical
This assessment also helped me realize my personal learning style is in close alignment with the outcomes of the Hula track program. ;-)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.