This year marks the University of Hawai’i Community Colleges’ 50th Anniversary.
To celebrate a half-century of offering quality, accessible higher education to the people of Hawai‘i, the colleges are honoring individuals from across the UHCC system who have made outstanding contributions to the growth and innovation of the colleges. After a call for nominations from John Morton, a campus committee selected 10 nominees for the “50 Finest” award and three nominees for the “Rising Star” award. A UHCC committee made the final selections for each campus.
I am pleased to announce Hawai‘i Community College’s awardees for the 50 Finest and Rising Star.
Hawai‘i CC 50 Finest Awardees:
- Pualani Kanahele, Retired Professor, Hawaiian Studies and Language
- Shirley Metcalf, Retired Director, Office of Continuing Education and Training
- Harold Nishimura, Retired Professor, Carpentry Program
- Noreen Yamane, Chancellor
- Trina Nahm-Mijo, Professor, Psychology; and Chair, Social Sciences Department
Hawai‘i CC Rising Star Awardee:
- Grace Funai, Assistant Professor, Counselor
Mahalo to the awardees for their contributions to our college, and to all of you who work hard to provide quality, accessible higher education to our community.
For the list of all members of the UHCC 50 Finest and rising stars from the seven community colleges, go to the following website: http://uhcc.hawaii.edu/uhcc50/
Chancellor Noreen Yamane