Employee Profile: Kelly Carter-Lynn

photo (2)

Name: Kelly Carter-Lynn

Title/ Department: Lecturer Dept of Math and Natural Sciences / Academic Support Laboratory Coordinator

Hometown: Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada

Brief description of your personal and professional background:

I was certified as a Junior Open Water Scuba Diver in Lunenburg Nova Scotia, Canada at the age of 12. My interest in science and particularly Marine Biology began there. I continued to obtain multiple SCUBA certifications through the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) as well as Technical Diving International (TDI) during my junior high and high school years. While studying at Memorial University in St. John’s Newfoundland I obtained certification as a scientific diver through the Canadian Association for Underwater Science (CAUS). I worked as both a Scientific Diving Technician at Memorial University and as an Open Water Scuba Instructor (PADI). I graduated with my B.Sc. (Hons.) Marine Biology from Memorial University, in St. John’s Newfoundland Canada in 2002. For two years I worked as a North Pacific Groundfish Observer and was deployed on Commercial Fishing Vessels sailing out of Dutch Harbor, Alaska. I met my husband in Alaska and relocated to Idaho where we were married in 2006. I was later hired as a Fisheries Bioaide at the Idaho Department of Fish and Game (IDFG) in Coeur d’Alene. While working at IDFG I completed my M.Sc. Biology, graduating in 2009. I continued working for IDFG as a Fisheries Management Technician until I left the Department in 2013. I relocated to the Big Island and started working at the UH Center West Hawaii/Hawaii CC in January/February 2014.

Hobbies/ Interests: Scuba diving is my passion. I try to spend as much time snorkeling or diving as I can. Since relocating to the Big Island I have developed an interest in underwater photography. I am really enjoying taking photos of the rare and beautiful things that I have the fortune to see when I am out diving on the Kona Coast.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.