Kauhale Message

Aloha Kauhale Kākou,

Meaningful to our hiring process is the creation of Kīpaepae Welina, a Welcoming Ceremony for all new employees. This provides an immediate and multi-sensory context into the human-culture of our college.  Yes, we provide 21st century education, but we also celebrate that in our Kauhale Academic Village are human beings inherently dedicated to the mission, vision, and wellbeing of our college and our community, local and international.

Meaningful to this human-culture, moreover, is our Kīpaepae Hoʻokuʻu, our Ceremony of Release whereby we bid goodbye to a member of our Kauhale. With this said, and with a poignant heart, we bid farewell to our dear Sherri Fujita…

To the Fujita ʻohana, we wish you  all well  in your travels & transitions…

A hui hou nō (we will meet again).

Tangarō

Kauhale

FROM SHERRI FUJITA: 

Farewell Kauhale!

It is with great sadness that I am writing this message of farewell to you. In 2004, after spending 14 years in Japan, I came to Hawai’i Community College, as a casual hire instructor for the Intensive English Program. I specifically chose to live and bring up my children in Hilo, Hawai’i because I was attracted to its culture and diversity.

I spent many happy years building the Intensive English Program and raising awareness of the importance of international education for the College. Not only did I want to give our students the chance to meet people from another country, but I wanted them to be able to study abroad, and to learn from an internationalized curriculum.

In the last couple of months here, I have been engaged primarily in assessment alongside international education, I have a passion for assessment, and using data to drive decision-making and innovation. In those couple of months, I have been impressed with the amount of progress our campus has made in assessment, and using that assessment to make improvements. Please keep it up and don’t lose the momentum.

Hawai’i CC has the potential to become a leading institution of innovation and best practices.

There is so much talent here. It is my deepest desire that I could have played a small part in developing a culture and a thirst for intemational education on our campus and contribute in some way to our goal of excellence (E ‘Imi Pono). 

I have accepted the ESL (English as a Second Language) Director position at Central Washington University (CWU) in Ellensburg, Washington. If you are in the area, look me up, and of course, there is always Facebook. All the best to you and your ‘ohana.

Sherri Fujita~

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.