Aloha and welcome back to another semester. It is that time again to start applying for financial aid for the upcoming 2012-2013 academic year. The 2012-2013 FAFSA is available January 1, the Hawaiʻi Community College 2012-2013 scholarship application is available January 3, and other scholarships are available. There is a scholarship guide that you may use to find other ways of searching for scholarships, tips to filling out an application, examples of a personal statement, and other helpful information. The guide is available on the Hawaiʻi Community College financial aid web site, www.hawaii.hawaii.edu/financialaid.
For the 2012-2013 academic year, Hawaiʻi Community College has changed its system that manages the scholarship application. The application is available through the STAR system, the same system where unofficial transcripts may be viewed. One way to access the scholarship page is to log on to the MyUH Portal, click on “STAR Degree Check,” click on “Scholarship” at the top right of the screen, click on “Enter Scholarships”, and then log in with your UH username and password. The other way is to go to the Hawaiʻi Community College financial aid web site, click on “Scholarships”, click on “Hawaiʻi Community College Scholarship Application”, and then log in with your UH username and password.
The application through STAR is simple and quick, and it will automatically pull your current major, GPA and enrollment status. It will also show you “Your Best Fit Scholarship” according to your home institution. Scholarship search is available which includes search by names or keywords. If you decide that you might end up transferring campuses within the UH System, you may search other campuses for their scholarships. Once you submit your application, you may view the status of your application by clicking on the “Track My Scholarship App” tab.
The Step-by-Step STAR Scholarship Application
- Log onto the University of Hawaiʻi Student Scholarship web site with your UH username and password. https://www.star.hawaii.edu:10012/Scholarship_live/login.jsp.
- The “HOME” page will vary depending on your home institution.
- The “MY BEST FIT SCHOLARSHIP” page will vary depending on your home institution.
- The scholarships that are displayed will apply to your home institution and the UH System scholarships.
- Scroll and read through the different scholarships that you may be eligible for. Click the “Apply” button for each scholarship that you would like to apply for and follow the directions.
- The “ADVANCED SCHOLARSHIP SEARCH” page can be used to search for scholarships at other UH Campuses, Level, College, Major, Standing, Minimum GPA, Residency, Gender, Need Based, and Enrollment Status.
- The “TRACK MY SCHOLARSHIP APPS” page is the page where you can view the status of your applications.