Student Spotlight: Caroline Herman and Chloë Weeks

Meet two friends from the East Coast who made the decision to spend a semester in Hawai‘i. Caroline Herman and Chloë Weeks share the same major, attend the same college, and enjoy participating in a range of sports, and now both are in Hawai‘i for an unforgettable semester. The memories of these next few months they will share forever!

Chloë and Caroline at the Chinatown New Year's Celebration

Brief bio

Caroline: I’m a geology major from Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania, and my hometown is Scarsdale, NY

Chloë: I’m also a geology major from Bryn Mawr, and my hometown is Tucson, Arizona

Favorite UH Class

Caroline: Oceanography 201. It’s unexpectedly interesting, and the professor makes it fun. We take self-guided field trips to different place on the island.

Chloë: Drawing, even though it is surprisingly difficult! I’m learning a lot of skills that will be useful when I have to sketch things from the field.

Fun Fact

Caroline: We’re on the field hockey team at Bryn Mawr. We’re 3rd string forwards but still get some playing time. It is also little known that in high school I was a speed walker and placed in the state championships.

Chloë: In high school I played volleyball, basketball, softball and ran track and field. Softball is my favorite sport, and pitcher is my favorite position.

Top accomplishment while in Hawai‘i

Caroline: Standing up on a surfboard!

Chloë: I’m kind of afraid of both the ocean and big creatures, but recently I went far out into Hanauma Bay to go snorkeling. And when I came across some sleeping sand sharks, I did not freak out! That is my top accomplishment in Hawai‘i, so far!

Greatest Adventure

Caroline: In high school I went on a month long sailing trip around the coast of Maine with “Outward Bound.” I spent every night on the boat except for the 3 days I spent completely alone on an island with only a bag of granola and my water bottle. I didn’t shower for entire month.

Chloë: My greatest adventure is a bit different! I spent Thanksgiving Break with my boyfriend in New York City. It was a great taste of adult life, being on our own.

Craziest Ambition

Caroline: I’ve run a few marathons, and my crazy goal is to be a member of the “50 States Marathon Club”.

Chloë: To name a dinosaur after me! Also, to run my first marathon in Pennsylvania.

First Job

Caroline: I was a camp counselor and taught sailing. It was the best summer ever!

Chloë: Well, my very first job was helping my dad in his cacti nursery when I was a little girl. We live on a cactus landscaping nursery, and my father is a botanist.

Favorite thing to do in Pennsylvania

Both: Explore Philadelphia, which has great museums and good food.

Favorite thing to do in Hawai‘i

Both: Go to the beach and snorkel. Hanauma Bay and Haleiwa on the North Shore are our favorite places so far.

Favorite Book

Caroline: Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

Chloë: The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood

Favorite Movie

Caroline: Mean Girls

Chloë: Forgetting Sarah Marshall, The Grinch, and I love animated movies.

Favorite TV show

Caroline: Reality TV shows like, My Strange Addiction, Hoarders, and Extreme Couponing.

Chloë: Bones, Big Bang Theory, and True Blood.

The reality show I’d go on

Caroline: Considering the reality shows I watch, thankfully I’d never go on one!

Chloë: Ninja Warrior – even though I’m sure I wouldn’t get too far on the stunt courses.

Greatest vice

Caroline: Candy — chocolate, gummy Swedish fish, anything!

Chloë: Right now I’m in a Nutella phase, and I can’t get enough!

Favorite local food

Caroline: Fried mochi balls, but only if they are hot.

Chloë: Mochi of all types.

If I’m cooking we’re having

Caroline: Something that can be micro-waved.

Chloë: Anything! I’m a good cook.

Favorite Hawai‘i Tradition

Caroline: Giving leis. It’s not just a touristy thing but rather a genuine, sincere gift.

Chloë: The best fruit is grown on trees in people’s yards, and if you ask the owner nicely, they will let you take from the yard or pick from the tree.

What’s next?

Caroline: Return to Bryn Mawr and apply for grad school. I’d like to eventually get a PhD.

Chloë: Apply for summer research and grad schools. I’d like to get an advanced degree, maybe a PhD. My dream job would is to work in a geologically interesting field like Hawai‘i. Who knows, though.

This entry was posted in Anna Womack, Student Spotlight. Bookmark the permalink.