Student Spotlight: Two Mid-Westerners Fly Out of the Polar Vortex and Dive Into the Waves of the Pacific Ocean

Get to know Samantha Mathes, a biology major from the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater and Erin Walsworth, an environmental geoscience major from DePauw University.

Cara, Sam, Rachel, and Erin at Sunset Beach

Favorite UH Class
Sam: “Cell and Molecular Biology”. I like this class because it’s interactive, not just lecture after lecture.
Erin: “Geoethics”. This class covers the both the geology and the ethics of geological hazards.

Favorite Form of Social Media
Sam: Twitter and Snapchat. My friends back home hate me because I keep posting pictures from the beach.
Erin: I’m not that great at social media, but I’d say I like Twitter because it makes me laugh and Instagram because it makes me feel like I’m there with the person.

What’s on your iPod?
Sam: iTunes Radio, like Top in Pop and Top of the Charts, and also Brittany Spears, Back Street Boys, and *NSYNC.
Erin: Country music and rap.  Country music reminds me of summertime at home, driving around with the windows down, playing music. Rap gets me amped up before a test or during a run.

One Word That Your Friends Use to Describe You
Sam: I hope my friends would say I’m fun.
Erin: Peppy.

One Word That You Use To Describe Yourself
Sam: Ambitious
Erin: Optimistic

Greatest Adventure
Sam: My greatest adventure is coming here! I knew about the ASH program for an entire year before applying. I’ve been excited about this for a long time.
Erin: This semester is my greatest adventure as well. This is the farthest and longest I’ve been away from home.

Something Few People Know about Me
Sam: People are surprised that I have a twin sister.
Erin: Hmmm. Well, I went to state in the Vocabulary Bowl in 7th grade. And I’ve broken every one of my toes.

Person You’d Most Like to Meet
Sam: Elvis.
Erin: Mia Hamm.

Greatest Vice
Sam: I worry too much about school. If I’m at the beach I think, “I should have brought my notes!”
Erin: Oreos! I haven’t been without them in my room all semester.

Best Talent
Sam: I love to organize things! Picking out my schedule for the next semester is so much fun. I enjoy getting all the time slots to work out.
Erin: I’m good at encouraging other people.

Dream Job
Sam: If I could be anything and get paid I would be a professional tennis player.
Erin: My dream job is head up Social Responsibility for an NGO (non-government organization), and I’m going for it!

Favorite Movie
Sam: A Cinderella Story
Erin: Sound of Music

Favorite TV Show
Both: Friends

Reality Show I’d Go On
Sam: Either The Hills or Wipeout
Erin: Most Extreme Eliminations

If A Movie Were Made About Me, I’d Want this Actor to Play Me
Sam: Blake Lively
Erin: Reese Witherspoon

If I’m cooking we’re having
Sam: Fiesta Lime Chicken!
Erin: Hay Stacks

Favorite Thing to Do at Home
Sam: Hanging out with friends, playing Just Dance.
Erin: Playing soccer with my family and going to concerts in the summer with my friends.

Favorite Thing to Do in Hawai‘i
Sam: Swimming in the ocean. I went to the North Shore last week, and the big waves were so much fun to play in!

Sam at the beach

Sam at the beach

Erin: Swimming in the ocean and also hiking. There aren’t any mountains in the mid-west!

Erin at the top of Mt. Tantalus

Erin at the top of Mt. Tantalus

Favorite Spot on Campus
Sam: My dorm! We’ve got air-conditioning, study rooms, and a game room.
Erin: The Japanese Gardens. It’s so peaceful there and a great place to get sun and get some work done.

Favorite Place in Hawai‘i (so far)
Sam: Top of the Makapuʻu Lighthouse trail. We saw whales the last time we were there.
Erin: Kaʻena Point, the westernmost tip of the island. We jumped in the ocean once we got there.

Favorite Local Food
Both: Acai bowls – they’re everywhere, all over the island.

Favorite Hawai‘i Tradition
Sam: Giving leis to the opposing basketball team members. It’s such a friendly gesture!
Erin: I like lei-giving as well. On my 21st birthday my friend gave me a lei.

Erin and Sam meeting pro bowl players

Erin and Sam meeting pro bowl players

This entry was posted in Anna Womack, Student Spotlight. Bookmark the permalink.