Student Spotlight: Kristine Balslev

A Rock Lover Comes to America

Meet Danish ASH student Kristine Balslev, a geology major from the University of Copenhagen who also composes and performs rock music.

Kristine on a geological site in Spain

Kristine on a geological site in Spain

Home School: University of Copenhagen in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Home Town: Copenhagen, Denmark

Major: Geology

On a geological site in Southern Sweden

On a geological site in Southern Sweden

Favorite UHM Class: Indian Philosophy with Professor Dalmiya. This class is a dream. The teacher is incredible, and I get the impression that the entire philosophy department is outrageous! I learned so much. I’ve never had a professor who brought me so much knowledge and presented it in a way that I could remember it all. I was never bored in that class.

Favorite Form of Social Media: Face-to-face interaction is the best. There’s too much of the other kind, and that’s the problem with social media.

What’s on your iPod? Right now it’s on shuffle, and I’m currently listening to “The Band”. I listen to all sorts of music, as long as it’s good.

What one word would you use to describe yourself? Distracted.

What one word would your friends use to describe you? They would say the same thing.

Describe an important accomplishment: Deciding to come to Hawai‘i. It took some work to make this happen, I did all the work myself, and now I’m in Hawai‘i. It’s true that if you decide to do something, you can make it happen.

Fun Fact: I’m giving up geology to work on being a rock star. I play, sing and write music. My music can be found at https://soundcloud.com/roadkill-7. I’ve already broken the news to my parents; I’m ready to give it a real shot.

Ambition: To become a recording and performing music artist.

Favorite music artists: George Harrison, Dave Grohl, and Stevie Nicks

What’s next? I’ll return to Denmark, do a lot of music, and go to a music festival called the Roskilde Festival. This will be the 12th year in a row that I’ve gone to this festival.

Favorite Book: I’ve read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas so many times! I also really enjoyed Shantaram, an autobiography written by the author while in prison in Australia, recounting his escape and exile in India and the friendships and craziness that went with it all. It’s funny, beautiful, and touching, and I can’t believe it’s real.

Favorite Movie: Any Quinten Tarantino or Coen Brothers film.

Favorite TV Show: While here in Hawai‘i I’ve been watching Arrested Development and 30 Rock. I don’t watch TV at home, but usually stream shows.

Greatest Vice: Eating doughnuts. They are so cheap and readily available here. But I think I’m now cured.

If Movie Were Made About Me, I’d Want This Actor to Play Me: James Franco. He’s kind of weird, and his vocabulary is very narrow, but he’s saying weird stuff, and it’s like where is he going?

Person I’d most like to meet: Dave Grohl. I wrote a song about him. He’s funny, talented, and been through it all. He’s like a bumper sticker!

If I’m cooking we’re having: Rattlesnake Chili, with coleslaw. I usually make it with chicken, since it’s hard to get rattlesnake. The recipe is from a cookbook by a guy who cooked for 80s rock bands.

Favorite Thing to Do in Hawai‘i: Snorkeling and surfing. I didn’t do either enough, but I really enjoyed it.

Kristine_Surfboard

Favorite Thing to Do in Copenhagen: Be with my friends and play music.

Favorite Local Food: I like the restaurant “Korean Hawaiian Barbecue”, which is near where I live.

Favorite Hawai‘i Tradition: Lei giving, and I like the ukulele.

Favorite Hawai‘i Place: Diamond Head. I live right next to it and enjoyed seeing it transform from green to brown. When I heard that it would turn brown after the rainy season I thought, “Oh no,” but I like it better now in the brown stage because you can see all the features and the lineation.

This entry was posted in Anna Womack, Student Spotlight. Bookmark the permalink.