September 13, 1824: Letter from Hoapili to Liholiho
Below is a fascinating account of a battle that occurred on Kauaʻi in August of 1824. Governor Hoapili of Maui, who had been a counselor of Kamehameha, was sent to Kauaʻi to organize an attack against Prince George P. Kaumualiʻi’s rebel forces. As described in the letter, a large number of people were killed in the battle. In James Jarves’s account, History of the Hawaiian Islands, he estimated that about 130 people were killed. (Available on Punawaiola here) see pg. 246).
An attempt at transcribing a portion of Hoapili’s letter may be found below. The letter, like many from this period, are difficult to read (due to obscured/blurred text, age of document etc.) , and as such, are difficult to translate.
September 12, 1842: Export Duty on Silver and Gold
The law passed below on September 12, 1842 abolished the duty placed on silver and gold exported from the country. The duty was abolished because of the harmful impact on commerce. The law below also relates to the proper payment of witnesses appearing in jury trials.
In this civil matter, Richardson brought suit against Kekeanui for the debt of $2.50 owed for a pair of shoes meant for Kekeanui’s wife. In the introductory paragraph provided below, Circuit Court Judge John Richardson first provides the procedural history of the case. Specifically, that the case was originally heard by District Judge Harbottle (for the district of Kipahulu and Kaupo) who ruled in favor of the plaintiff. The case was brought before Judge Richardson in his chambers. The case provides interesting insight into the value and exchange rate for commodities and services–for example, the value of olonā, paʻakai, and hauling baggage in exchange for a pair of women’s shoes.
September 10, 1877: Regarding the Constitution of the Land Acquisition Association of Wainiha
As explained by Adam Roversi in his article entitled, The Hawaiian Land Hui Movement: A Post-māhele Counter-Revolution in Land Tenure and Community Resource Management, “[i]n 1869, seventy-one Hawaiians joined together to purchase virtually the entire 15,000-acre ahupuaʻa of Wainiha on the Island of Kauaʻi. Although they held title to the land as private property, they did so communally, sharing the use and management of the unoccupied and uncultivated portions of the ahupuaʻa including the near shore fishery.” This group was known as Hui Kuai Aina o Wainiha. Nearly 80 years later in 1947, this Hui was forcibly broken apart in partition proceedings initiated by McBryde Sugar Company.
Below are short excerpts of the original organizing document entitled, “Kumukanawai o ka Hui Kuai Aina o Wainiha.” A transcription follows.