To apply for admission to the ASH program, submit the following:
- ASH Program Application: Download the PDF application and complete.
- Personal Statement: A brief (one typed page, maximum) personal statement describing why you are applying to the ASH program and how a semester at the University of Hawaiʻi will enhance your academic goals and career objectives.
- University of Hawaiʻi System Admission application: Submit the online UH system application.
- UH Application fee is $70: This application fee is non-refundable, non-transferrable and valid only for the semester indicated in the application. Online payment of the application fee (by Visa or Mastercard) is due upon submission of the UH system application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts must be submitted directly to the ASH office by your college or university. Unofficial, faxed, or issued-to-student copies of academic documents will not be accepted. You are required to submit transcripts for ALL college course work including summer school.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two letters of recommendation from faculty, employment supervisor, or community or religious leaders. These letters of recommendation should include a statement that the student is a trust-worthy and responsible individual who will benefit from experiences in Hawaiʻi.
Mail ALL application materials (excluding the online UH system application and application fee) to the ASH Office:
A Semester in Hawaiʻi
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
University of Hawaiʻi Mānoa
Honolulu, HI 96822
Application Deadlines: Between October 1 and February 15 for Fall Semester; between May 1 and September 15 for Spring Semester.
Other important information for ASH applicants:
Financial Assistance: Contact both your home college and the UH Financial Aid Office to request financial assistance. Check for the FAFSA priority application deadline to receive financial aid packet on time. UH’s FAFSA code is 001610.
On-Campus Housing: You must apply ONLINE for on-campus housing if you wish to reside on-campus. Meet the Housing Office application deadline and submit deposits on time. IMPORTANT: YOU WILL NEED YOUR UH ID NUMBER WHEN YOU APPLY ONLINE FOR HOUSING; your UH ID number is included with your acceptance letter or can be retrieved by calling the ASH office. ASH students may also reside off-campus.
Courses: Check the UH online course catalog and Registration Guide for course descriptions and availability. Confer with your home college advisor to make sure that courses taken at UH will apply toward your graduation requirements. Select courses and a few alternate courses. (Please note that specific courses and times for the upcoming semester will be posted online near the end of the current semester. To obtain a good idea of courses offered each semester check the class availability website for previous semesters course offerings.) You will register online about 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the new semester. ASH students are NOT permitted to register for 300 or 400 level business courses. However you may register for all levels of Management Information System courses.
ASH Orientation: You must attend the mandatory ASH orientation which occurs the Sunday before classes begin each semester. Make plane reservations to Honolulu AFTER you receive the acceptance letter from UH Admissions Office.
UH ID Number: Keep your acceptance letter in a safe place because you need your UH ID number to register. Check the UH Registration Guide for your registration time and register at the assigned time to have the best selection of classes. You will register for courses online approximately one to two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester.