Step 3


Step Three: Pre-departure Information

Once you are admitted to the UHM 3+2 Program, please make sure you read all the information included in your admission package that UHM mails to you. It is highly recommended that you plan your stay in Hawaii in advance! Please download the Pre-Departure Information Checklist.

Course Registration

For graduate-level international students, in order to maintain the valid F or J visa status, the minimum course credits is eight per semester. Please make sure you register enough credits to maintain your student visa.

Prepare for course registration: browsing UHM courses online at UHM Class Availability (click ‘Details’ for brief course descriptions and prerequisites)

How to register for your courses: all UHM students register for classes online through their UHM student portal ( You will find detailed registration instructions in the UHM Registration Guide

When to register online – international students can register online after arriving at UHM and passing a Tuberculosis (TB) test at the Student Health Center on campus. TB evaluation takes a minimum of 48 hours. Until that time, you will have a ‘hold’ on your MyUH registration. Check the Registration Timetable to see when newly admitted students may register online. Students who have not begun to register online before the first day of classes will be required to pay a late registration fee. Any late fees due must be paid by the payment receipt deadline.

UH ID Card – After you have registered for at least eight-credit course at UHM, you are eligible to receive your UHM Identification Card. Get your ID Card at 212 Campus Center. All students must have their ID Card validated in order to get a bus pass or check out books from the library. Students who owe tuition or fees must pay their balance in full before their ID Card can be validated.

Tuition & Fees – all admitted 3+2 students are responsible for paying regular non-resident tuition and fees to UHM. UHM tuition and fees should be paid by the published deadline, and can be paid online in the MyUH portal or at the UHM Cashier’s Office (QLC 105). All international students are also responsible for paying their own travel, personal, and living expenses. Students living on-campus can pay their housing bill online in MyUH or at the UHM Cashier’s Office (QLC 105).

Housing & Foods 

On-campus housing:

Off-campus housing:

Manoa dining services:

Places to eat on campus: