Department Timeline

Gov John A. Burns
1909-1975

1965

John A. Burns School of Medicine is established as a 2 year program of basic medical sciences.

1967

Tropical medicine and medical microbiology were established as a section within the department of medicine.

Research laboratories established to study dengue hemorrhagic fever and malaria.

1969

Tropical medicine faculty received joint appointments in School of Public Health, Department of Public Health Sciences.

1972

Tropical medicine elevated to Department status within the medical school.

1976

The University of Hawaii at Manoa Graduate Division approved a graduate program (M.S. and Ph.D.) in Biomedical Sciences with Tropical Medicine as a core discipline.

Joseph Alicata PhD
1904-1994

1979

First graduate of the Tropical Medicine graduate program.

1981

Joseph E. Alicata Award in Tropical Medicine and Infectious Disease established.

1988

Tropical Medicine hosts annual meeting of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

1995

Tropical Medicine BSL 3 Laboratory Facilities opens.

2004

Department of Pharmacology merges with Tropical Medicine and the department renamed to the Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology.

Biosciences Building, home to the department

2005

Tropical Medicine moves from Leahi Hospita to the new medical school campus in Kaka’ako.

2009

Tropical Medicine establishes an insectary for the study of vector borne infectious diseases.