- Prerequisites for admission to the Tropical Medicine MS or PhD program — Bachelor’s degree in biology or related field with:
- 2 y life sciences (including microbiology and cell and molecular biology; immunology highly recommended),
- 1-1/2 y chemistry (including organic),
- 1 y physics,
- 1 y mathematics (including calculus)
- Submit a Graduate Admissions Application to the Graduate Division.
You may apply on-line or with a paper application (See How to Apply).
International graduate students also refer to International Students guidelines.Official documents to be sent to the Graduate Division:
- All previous college transcripts
- Standardized exam scores:
- General GRE exam (Indicate code: 0299, Biological Sciences-other to forward scores
- GRE biology or biochemistry subject test
- TOEFL scores for international students (minimum scores = 580/237/92)
- Submit the following documents directly to the department (see address below):
- Statement of Objectives form,
- Two letters of recommendation,
- A CV or resume.
- If applying for the Fall Semester applications must be received by January 15,
- Spring Semester applicants must submit their documents by September 1 of the previous year.
For more information on the Tropical Medicine graduate program contact:
Sandra Chang PhD, Graduate Chair
Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology
John A. Burns School of Medicine
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
651 Ilalo Street, BSB 320
Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96813-5525
Telephone: (808) 692-1617 Fax: (808) 692-1979