Jacob Nelson

Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology
John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa
651 IIalo Street, Bioscience Building 320
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
E-mail: jacobtn@hawaii.edu

Personal Statement
My career interests lie in vaccine development, pathogenesis and treatment of high risk agents in containment settings and utilizing animal models. I have worked previously with BSL-2 and BSL-3 agents in a variety of species ranging from mice to primates. I have experience developing and validating techniques for GLP regulated studies. My goals are to improve the understanding of arboviral transmission, host cell response and pathogenesis while determining new vaccine and treatment concepts and to improve methods for detection, quantification and animal modeling.

Education
New Mexico State University. B.S., 2007
American Association of Laboratory Animal Science. rLATG, 2012
University of Hawaii at Manoa. Ph.D. candidate, 2012 – present-Tropical Medicine

Experience
2005-2007 – Undergraduate Research Technician, New Mexico State University
2007-2008 – Post-Baccalaureate Research Intern, National Institutes of Health
2010-2012 – Bioscientific Research Technician, Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute
2012 – present – Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology, University of Hawaii at Manoa

Interests and Hobbies
My interests include increasing knowledge of disease progression and treatment by utilizing animal models, however, I am also involved in advancing animal research as a whole.  I am a member of the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) and I am also a certified Registered Laboratory Animal Technologist (rLATG) through AALAS.  I have presented data and attended meetings with International Meeting of Emerging Diseases and Surveillance (IMED), American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH), and departmental biosymposiums with NMSU and NIH.  In 2007 I received an award for best undergraduate presentation in biology at the NMSU biosymposium.  In my spare time I enjoy herpetology, hiking, kayaking, fishing, travel, film and literature.

Publications
Hanley KA, Nelson JT, Schirtzinger EE, Whitehead SS, Hanson CT. (2008). Superior infectivity for mosquito vectors contributes to competitive displacement among strains of dengue virus. BMC Ecology.  13; 8.1

Bennett RS, Nelson JT, Gresko AK, Murphy BR, Whitehead SS.  (2011).   The full genome sequence of three strains of Jamestown Canyon virus and their pathogenesis in mice or monkeys. Virology Journal. 8:136.

Bennett RS, Gresko AK, Nelson JT, Murphy BR, Whitehead SS.  (2012). A recombinant chimeric La Crosse virus expressing the surface glycoproteins of Jamestown Canyon virus is immunogenic and protective against challenge with either parental virus in mice or monkeys. Journal of Virology. (86)1.