Kenji Obadiah Mfuh

Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology
John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa
651 Ilalo Street, Bioscience Building 320
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
E-mail: kenji2@hawaii.edu

Personal Statement
I am a certified Medical Technologist with 5 year of experience in Africa and the Middle East.  I possess excellent clinical laboratory skills, with commended performance in supervising, conducting, analyzing laboratory assays and resolving complex clinical and instrument problems. In my previous jobs I have performed various chemical, microscopic and bacteriologic tests, operated and calibrated an assortment of laboratory testing equipment and evaluated quality control within laboratories. I enrolled in the Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology M.S. program in 2012 to gain knowledge that will enable me to carry out basic science research. Research in tropical diseases has raised many relevant questions to clinical disease progression and I would like to work towards answering some of these questions. My future goals include establishing a career in research and science education pertaining to dengue virus infection and dengue vaccine development.

Education
University of Buea, Buea, Cameroon.  B.M.L.S., 2007 – Medical Laboratory Sciences
Manchester Metropolitan University/ Peoples’-University, UK.  Diploma, 2011 – Public Health
University of Hawaii at Manoa.  M.S. candidate, 2012 -  present -Tropical Medicine
Manchester Metropolitan University/ Peoples’-University, UK.  M.P.H. in review, 2013 – Public Health

Experience
2007-2010 – Medical Technologist, St. Louis University Institute of Health, Cameroon
2010-2011 – Medical Technologist, Life Healthcare Group, U.A.E.
2009-2012 – Lab Instructor, St. Louis University Institute of Health, Cameroon
2012-present – Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology, University of Hawaii at Manoa

Interests and Hobbies
I am interested in the activities of scientific organizations related to Medical Laboratory Science and Tropical Medicine. I am a member of the American Society for Clinical Pathologist, Cameroon Association for Medical Laboratory Scientist and American Society for Microbiology. My public health skills and biomedical knowledge drives me towards translational research. My hobbies include singing, watching movies and listening to music.

Presentations
Obadiah K,
Bishilin C, Ngu N. (2011). Antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of uropathogens isolated from pregnant women attending the Regional Hospital Bamenda, Cameroon.

Obadiah K, Annabella C, Victorine M.  (2009). The prevalence of intestinal parasites in school age children at the Bafut Health District, Cameroon.

Obadiah K. (2007). Comparing the prevalence of bacteriuria in male and female patients attending the University Teaching Hospital Yaoundé, Cameroon.  Partial undergraduate fulfillment.