Ngu Njei Abanda

Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology
John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa
651 IIalo Street, Bioscience Building 320
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Email: abandann@hawaii.edu

Personal Statement
I graduated with a B.Sc. in Biochemistry and minor in Medical Laboratory Technology from the University of Buea before going to complete an M.Sc. in Molecular Parasitology and Vector Biology jointly taught by the Universities of Salford, Manchester and Keele. Between 2009 and 2012, I was based at the Biotechnology Centre of the University of Yaounde I, where I participated in several field studies including socio-economic studies on antimalarial drugs, prevalence of antimalarial drug resistant markers, intervention trials to improve provider practices in the management of malaria and clinical trials on the effect of nutritive supplements on the risk of malaria.

I also worked for the Multilateral Initiative on Malaria Secretariat and an EU-funded project-AFRICARAMI- initiatives all geared at building research capacity on infectious diseases research across Africa, facilitating dialogues and promoting networking activities among research scientists, public health professionals and policy makers, encouraging dissemination of scientific information and raising awareness of the burden on infectious diseases.

This fall (2012), through an NIH/FIC training grant awarded to Drs. Diane Taylor and Rose Leke, I enrolled as a Ph.D. Student in the Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I will be working in the laboratory of Dr. Abby Collier and my research focus will center on the safety and metabolism of antimalarial drugs in vulnerable populations notably pregnant women and neonates.

Education
University of Buea, Cameroon.  B.Sc., 2006 – Biochemistry
University of Salford, Keele & Manchester, UK.  M.Sc., 2009 – Molecular parasitology
University of Hawaii.  Ph.D. candidate, 2012 – present – Tropical Medicine

Experience
2009 – Administrative assistant, Laboratory of public health research biotechnology, University of Yaounde
2009-2010 – Project manager-Cameroon Chapter of an ACT consortium project (Project No 5)
2010-2012 – Assistant coordinator, Cameroon Chapter of an EU-funded project- AFRICARAMI (Réseau scientific et Techniques Afrique caraïbe)
2009 – 2012 – Secretarial Manager, Multilateral Initiative on Malaria Secretariat, Biotechnology Centre, UYI, Cameroon
2012 – Student Affiliate, East West Center
2012- Present – Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology, University of Hawaii at Manoa

Interests & Hobbies
I enjoy the translation of theoretical ideas into practical applications and finding workable solutions to the ensuing problems, which makes me adventurous and optimistic. I equally like engaging in community or group activities that seek to raise awareness of societal ills or provide assistance to those in need. I love traveling, meeting people, learning new cultures, cuisines and languages as well as spending great time in outdoors and sporting activities. In the last few years, I have cultivated the habit of reading historical, mystery novels or motivational, inspirational books every weekend and during travels. It’s an enriching experience especially as it helps me better appreciate the different facets of life.

Publications and Presentations
Wiseman V, Mangham LJ, Cundil B, Achonduh OA, Akindeh MN, Njei AN, Chandler C, Mbacham W.  (2012). A cost-effectiveness analysis of provider interventions to improve health worker practice in providing treatment for uncomplicated malaria in Cameroon: study protocol for a cluster randomized controlled trial. Trials, 13(1):4.

Chandler C, Mangham LJ, Njei AN, Achonduh OA, Mbacham WF, Wiseman V. (2012). As a clinician, you are not managing lab results, you are managing the patient’: how the enactment of malaria at health facilities in Cameroon compares with new WHO guidelines. Soc Sci Med: 74(10):1528-35