Samuel Tassi Yunga

Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology
John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa
651 Ilalo Street, Bioscience Building 320
Honolulu, Hawaii, 96813
E-mail: sty@hawaii.edu

Personal Statement
I graduated from medical school in 2010 and practiced general medicine for two years in Cameroon, West-Africa. I am ardently interested in the clinical aspects of infectious diseases and the use of research methods to solve existing and novel challenges posed by pathogens. For my M.D. dissertation, I investigated the possibility of using cytokine receptor products in urine to noninvasively screen for malaria-induced placenta inflammation. I am currently a Ph.D. student at the University of Hawaii majoring in Tropical Medicine and hope to work as a clinician-scientist, carrying out translational research on malaria and other tropical diseases.

Education
University of Yaoundé, Cameroon.  M.D., 2010 – General Sciences
University of Hawaii at Manoa. Ph.D. candidate, 2012 – present

Experience
2009-2010 – Research Student (M.D. thesis), The Biotechnology Center University of Yaounde, Cameroon
2010-2012 – Chief Medical Officer, Fontem District Hospital, Cameroon
2012 – Workshop participant, Update of the immunological concepts of immunity to malaria,  Cameroon
2012-present – Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology, University of Hawaii at Manoa

Interests and Hobbies
I speak and write two international languages – English and French. I am also interested in environmental protection and enjoy volunteering. My hobbies include swimming, hiking and traveling. I also enjoy listening to gospel music.