JABSOM ENQUIRER: Meet third-year medical student Aaron Hoo

Top Photo courtesy of Eye of the Islands Photography, Inc. (http://www.eyeoftheislands.com)

JABSOM Enquirer:  We’re here with Aaron Hoo.  Aaron is the MS3 class president, and is taking some time from his busy clerkship schedule to talk with us.  

Aaron, can you tell our readers a little bit about yourself?

Aaron:   Sure.  I was born and raised in Honolulu.  I attended Punahou for high school, then went to the University of Pennsylvania for college.  I received my BA in Biology, with a minor in Japanese.

Aaron Hoo and his parents.

Aaron Hoo and his parents.

After graduating from college, I got involved in scientific research.  I spent an additional year in Philadelphia, then came home and spent two years working under Dr. Linda Chang at the Queens Medical Center in the area of MRI (magnetic resonance imagining) research.

JABSOM Enquirer:  What do you miss about Philadelphia?

Aaron:   I liked the cold weather.  And, I miss the food trucks on campus.  They were a great way to get Asian, Greek, and Middle Eastern food at really cheap, college-budget prices.  You could get a great meal for three dollars…can’t beat that.

JABSOM Enquirer:  Why did you decide to attend JABSOM for medical school?  

Aaron:   I enjoyed my time in Philadelphia, but I was ready to come back home.  I was really happy to be accepted to JABSOM.

JABSOM Enquirer:  We’re thrilled you chose us too.  Can you tell us a little about your family?

Aaron:   My parents live here in Honolulu.  I have a younger sister and younger brother.  My sister is an engineer, and my brother just graduated from college and is working in Los Angeles.  I’m the first person in my family to enter the medical profession.

JABSOM Enquirer:  You’re about half-way through your third-year clerkships.  Have you started narrowing down what you want to do as a career?

Aaron:   I’m definitely leaning towards something within primary care.  I’m still deciding on the specific field though.  I appreciate the importance of preventive health, and how primary care is an essential part of that.

JABSOM Enquirer:  That’s great!  We understand you are currently in the longitudinal clerkship (6L) program.  Where are you assigned for your training?

Aaron:   I’m here on island, primarily in leeward and central Oahu.  I’m rotating through a number of clinics at Pali Momi, Wahiawa, Waikele, Haleiwa, and Mililani.  These are all new experiences for me, so it’s been terrific.

JABSOM Enquirer:  When you’re not studying, do you have any hobbies?

Aaron:   Yeah, I have a few things I really enjoy.  I picked up Okinawan Taiko drumming a few year ago.  It is called Eisa, and is done mostly during the bon dance season as a way of respecting out ancestors.  Unlike traditional Japanese style Taiko drumming, the Okinawan style is to carry the drum with you.  My younger brother was into it before I was, so I thought it would be fun to try.  It’s been a great release for me.

JABSOM Enquirer:  Uh, we have this image of you running around in a loin cloth…

Aaron:   No, it’s not that kind of Taiko drumming.  We’re fully clothed.

JABSOM Enquirer:  That’s reassuring…

Aaron Hoo with his recreational basketball team.

Aaron:   I also like to play basketball with my classmates on Sunday evenings.  We’re looking forward to the annual medical school basketball starting up in the Spring.

I recently got back into aquarium fish too.

JABSOM Enquirer:  Oh, that’s interesting.  What kind of fish?

Aaron:   Freshwater fish, like Bala Sharks, Tinfoil Barbs, and even some small koi.  I have a large aquarium in our living room.  I find it very calming and mesmerizing to watch them.

JABSOM Enquirer:  Thanks so much for spending this time with us.  Any final words for our readers? 

Aaron:   I just wanted to shout out to my classmates.  Hope everyone is doing well.  They are amazing people, and I’m looking forward to reading about more of them in the JABSOM Enquirer too.

The JABSOM Enquirer would like to thank Aaron Hoo for agreeing to be interviewed for our column, and wish him great success in the remainder of his busy clerkship year. 

Until next time, this is the JABSOM Enquirer signing out.  Take care, and aloha…

Editor’s Note: Our JABSOM Enquirer prefers to remain anonymous. But we say MAHALO for another insightful column about our awesome MD students!

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes