H-1B Workers

The H-1B nonimmigrant classification is used for individuals who will be temporarily employed in the U.S. in specialty occupations. As the employer, UH files H-1B petitions on behalf of eligible employees with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Individuals may not self-petition for H-1B classification.

Click on the links below, directly access H-1B forms and templates, or see H-1B Frequently Asked Questions.

Sponsoring H-1B Employment

Step 1: UH job offer
Step 2: Determine H-1B eligibility
Step 3: Prepare H-1B request
Step 4: FSIS processing
Step 5: USCIS processing
Step 6: Apply for H-1B entry (if employee is outside the U.S.)

H-4 Dependents

H-4 eligibility
Obtaining & extending H-4 status
Employment for H-4 dependents
Study permitted for H-4 dependents

Maintaining H-1B Compliance

H-1B duration
H-1B extensions
Changes to H-1B employment
Travel abroad & reentry to the U.S.
Reporting new home addresses to USCIS
Dual intent

Ending H-1B Employment

Resignation (voluntary termination)
Dismissal (involuntary termination)
Lawful permanent residence