Know Your Rights

You have rights under University Policies & Procedures as well as rights under federal and state laws. In addition to the resources provided, we encourage you to contact our office to further discuss the rights available to you.

You have the right to report the incident to the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, where the university will investigate what happened and resolve your complaint promptly and equitably. For a list of responsible offices, please go here.

You have the right to choose to report an incident of sexual violence to UHM Public Safety or local law enforcement. A criminal investigation is separate and distinct from UH Mānoa’s institutional response. These options are available simultaneously, and The University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa will cooperate with law enforcement agencies if a criminal investigation occurs. You have the right to report to both, one, or neither of these options depending on your individual decision.

You have the right to access confidential campus resources. Confidential resources are in place to provide victims with assistance while deciding how best to proceed. For a list of confidential campus resources available at UHM, please go here.